Sweet Potato Enchiladas
What you’ll need:
- 3 sweet potatoes, diced (I used Molokai Purples)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 gloves garlic
- 1 habanero (or any chile), diced
- 1 small bunch kale, cut into strips
- 1 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 cups of salsa
- 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chili pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 tortillas (I used whole wheat)
Ok, it seems like a lot of ingredients, but this recipe is really not difficult!
1) Boil sweet potatoes for about 15 minutes, until soft, then drain water
2) Heat oil in a large pot, add onion, garlic, and habanero, cook for 5 minutes
3) Add bell pepper and zucchini, cook for another 10 minutes
4) Add spices
5) Add sweet potatoes, beans, and 1/2 cup salsa, mix ingredients well
6) Add kale and cilantro, cook for 5 more minutes and remove from heat
Here’s a picture of the enchilada filling at the end of cooking
7) Spread 1/2 cup of salsa on the bottom of a baking dish.
8 ) Lay out a tortilla, put some filling in the middle, roll it up, and put it in baking dish. Repeat until you have filled the dish.
9) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
10) Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the enchiladas, then top with the remaining 1 cup of salsa, making sure you cover the tops of all of them to prevent burning.
11) Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, take out and let cool for 10 min. and enjoy!