Mexican Quinoa Salad
I was going to start this post with something like….
Summertime is ripe with barbecues, and this recipe is certain to be a crowd pleaser at your next potluck.
But then I realized that it is always barbecue season in Hawaii, so I would be misrepresenting my life if I made it seem like anything was different in the months of June-August. Year-round we have barbecues and outdoor potlucks, aren’t we lucky?
Now that the cat is out of the bag, back to the recipe. Whenever I get invited over to a barbecue, or organize a potluck at our house (which was the case last Friday), a quinoa salad is my go-to dish. It is infinitely changeable and can be created based on whatever food theme you are going for. Not to mention, it is super healthy with lots of colors, protein, and healthy fats. This quinoa salad had a Mexican theme, based on some key ingredients that I already had; beans, avocado, peppers, and tomato. It was a huge hit at the get-together and I will be revisiting this specific rendition of quinoa on the regular. So here it is….
- Mexican Quinoa Salad
Ingredients for Salad:
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (bring 3 cups of water to boil with a dash of salt and cook quinoa until done and all water is soaked up
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
Ingredients for Dressing:
- 1 teaspoon each of cumin, pepper flakes, and chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of agave or honey
- 2 tablespoons of Braggs Amino Acids
- 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice
1) Mix salad ingredients in a large bowl
2) Mix dressing ingredients in a small, separate bowl
3) Throw dressing on top of salad and mix well
4) Chop one avocado into cubes and spread on top of the salad (if you mix the avo into the salad base it will get all mushy and weird, so it is better to top with avocado)